Children and Grandchildren of Benjamin & Hannah (Weed) Abshier
I am a descendant of Benjamin Abshier, Sr. (born 1788 in Louisiana) and his wife Hannah (Weed) Abshier, who emigrated to what was then Liberty County, Texas in about 1843. They brought all their children and some of the grandchildren. They also came with Benjamin and Sarah (Hanks) Weed -- Hannah's brother and sister-in-law, who also brought their children. Family histories written by the late Earl Travis Hill of Dallas, TX and the late Thelma Abshier Cessna of Devers, suggest they came to the old Cracker's Neck community [present day Hankamer] at the behest of their friend Vincent Barrow. Vincent was a half-brother of the more celebrated Solomon, Benjamin and Reuben Barrow Jr. Whatever the case, they came. Here are the seven children and seventy grandchildren of Benjamin and Hannah Abshier:
1) Marie Zilpha Abshier (1811-1847/48) married 1826 to John Fowler; they had the following nine children: Fannie Fowler md. James B. Reavis, Isabella Fowler md. Calvin Smith, John Fowler Jr. md. Eliza Chessher, Benjamin Fowler, Hannah Fowler md. Benjamin F. Barrow, Mary Ann Fowler md. John Ned Barrow, William Fowler, Jane Fowler md. Henry Charles Blake and Asa Fowler md. Frances Elizabeth Weaver.
2) Lavinia or Elvina Abshier (1813-1876) married 1828 to James Calvin Moor; they had the following ten children: Benjamin Thomas Moor md. Mary Elizabeth Carr, Martha Elvina Moor md. John Sealy Fabriguze, James Joseph Moor md. Matilda Carr, Mary Lucinda Moor md. Alexander Weed, Minerva Moor md. Levi Carr; Euphemia Moor md. Silas Smith first and second to David Calhoun Palmer, Joseph Asa Moor md. Jane Spradley; Malina Moor md. Alfred Carter; Prosper Moor and Sarah Moor.
3) Asa Jesse Abshier (1816-1892) married (1) in 1838 to Lucy Andrus, with whom he had five children: Malina Mae Abshier md. Freeman Green, Lucinda Abshier md. Edmond Pruett, Andrew Jackson Abshier md. Mary Maxim Brashear, Malissa Ann “Lizzie” Abshier md. Overton Darwin, and James Alexander Abshier md. Felicie Carmalite Lambert. Asa was married (2) in 1851 to Catherine “Kate” Laughlin, with whom he had six children: Mary Virginia Abshier md. John H. Fuller, Benjamin Franklin “Frank” Abshier md. (1) Sophia Susan Garrard and (2) Idora Kinney, Martha “Matt” Abshier md. Paul Baillio, Joannah Abshier md. William Blackburn Green, Ellison Abshier and Nettie Abshier.
4) Marguerite Alzenith Abshier (1818-1874) married Alfred Lee. They had twelve children: Albert Lee md. Sarah White, Jane Susanne Lee md. John S. Brown, John Hale Lee md. Zelphia Barrow, Benjamin Lee, Zelliah Ann Lee md. James Elisha White, Althea Ann Lee md. (1) John Andress and (2) W. H. Whittington, Robert H. Lee md. Isabelle Weaver, Samantha Stella Lee md. Steve Smith, Joanna Lee md. John T. Wells, Alfred Lee Jr., Baby Lee (died in infancy), and Catherine “Kate” Lee md. (1) John Andrew Barrow and (2) W. H. Williams.
5) Benjamin Abshier, Jr. (1820-1884) married in 1842 to Carmelite Boullett. They had thirteen children: Fannie Abshier md. John Dugat, Elizabeth “Betty” Abshier md. Daniel G. Ainsworth, Mary Lucinda “Cindy” Abshier md. (1) John Thomas Watson and (2) John M. Moores, Benjamin Abshier III md. Mary Ellen Clayton, Austin Abshier md. (1) Millie Harmon, (2) Kate Watts and (3) Emma Dowdell, William Asa Abshier md. Eliza Julia Bellar, Peter Caleb Abshier, Silvera Pearl Abshier md. Lem Weiser, John Edward “Eddie” Abshier md. Lena Bingle, Francis Monroe Abshier md. Mary Emelia LeNormand, Josephine Caroline “Carrie” Abshier md. Joseph M. LeNormand, Joseph Abshier and O. C. Abshier.
6) Lucinda Abshier (1824-1852) married 1839 to Caleb Higginbotham. They had seven children: Joanna Higginbotham md. Charles Hankamer, Carolina Eugenia Higginbotham md. George Stengler, Jacob A. Higginbotham md. Mary Ann Harmon, Nancy Catherine Higginbotham md. John “Dib” Barrow, A. Jackson Higginbotham md. Mandina --------, Samantha Higginbotham md. a Mr. Carter, and Marianna Higginbotham.
7) Austin Abshier (1828-1880) married 1854 to Mrs. Susan (Clark) Andress. They had eight children: Sarah A. Abshier md. Seaborn Harmon, E. J. Abshier, Gideon “Gid” Abshier, Susan Eugenia Abshier md. Benjamin F. Fregia, Mary Elma Abshier md. Charles H. “Hob” Whittington, Hannibal Cameron Abshier md. Lillie J. Palmer, Viola Abshier md. Angus D. Palmer, and Georgianna Abshier md. W. W. Damon. Austin also was stepfather to Susan’s son, Jackson Andress, from her first marriage.
According to this information, Benjamin and Hannah had 70 grandchildren. Descendants of this pioneer couple are trying to raise money for a tombstone for this couple, the progenitors of a large Southeast Texas family. Any donations, in whatever amount, can be made out to the Liberty County Historical Commission and mailed to PO Box 334, Hardin, TX 77561. Please mark "Abshier Tombstone" on the memo line of your check. All checks will be acknowleged with a receipt. All donors will be listed on the dedication program when this tombstone is formally dedicated.